get a badge now!

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Good News, Bad News, Bad News

So first with some bad news, I have been trying my best to start running again, but the weather keeps working against me. It has been a week and although I have heard 2 weeks is the recovery time for half marathons...I am ready. The issue is these darn storms...the last few days, every time I go out to run it had been thundering. I guess another day or so would not kill me. Once I start out, I am going to be working on my intervals during the week, loosely following Mom's couch to 5k group...and then getting up early for some long runs over the weekends. Needless to say, we are all excited about Chicago and the opportunity to beat our times at the CMM.

At work, at the top of our gmail, there is a little "news ticker" that I rarely pay attention to, unless there is a cool recipe or something. Yesterday something caught my eye, Las Vegas entertainer dead at 52. As the 4 people that read this blog know, we make a yearly run to Las Vegas to see Dad, but even before he moved out there...I have been out there at least once a year since the late 90's. I really love that town. It's not just the gambling. The history of the place, the huge hotels, the desert, Area 51, the food...it has fascinated me for years. For as long as I have been going there, once I get off my flight at McCarran, I have been accustomed to seeing Danny Gans mug staring at me at some point. His face is on hundreds of billboards around town, for a while there you could not escape him. Unfortunately, he died yesterday in his sleep...the guy was 52 years old. Wife, 3 kids, seemed like a good guy. There was no sign of foul play...his wife said that she turned over and could not feel him breathing. It's a huge loss to his family and a pretty big loss to the city. Although, I never had the opportunity to see him, a LOT of people enjoyed his show...he recently made the move from the Mirage where he maintained his own theater to a new theater at the Wynn Las Vegas.

After that bummer, on the good news front, sis-in-law, Amanda was able to get us some tickets to Disneyland for the first part of our CA trip this summer. We only need to pick up tickets for the girls and also get some hopper add-on's (cause I am going to need to ride me some Toy Story mania)....I know we rode it 3 times last year and we most likely have 2 trips to WDW planned for next year (short one for the marathon and longer one with the kids in the summer), but that was a great ride. I personally am pretty excited about seeing Disneyland. Aside from taking the kids, I have not been to that park and I am excited to take it in...

No comments: