get a badge now!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Big Day - 1/2 Marathoners....

Walkthrough:

So, the alarm went off at 4:00 AM and believe it or not, I was ready to get out of bed. I threw my clothes on, and went downstairs to start some coffee. Karen bettered me by not only getting up before me, but was already in the shower. I did not feel the need to impress anyone, so I skipped the shower. After some stretching, I sipped on my coffee for a bit and then we were off to go pick up Jennifer and then head to Mom's so that we can all carpool downtown.

We hit no traffic on the way in. Gordon dropped of us right on the outside of the road block and we walked down West end looking for our corral assignments. Corral assignments were based on your finish times. In our case, they were estimated...Mom and I's 3:30:00 put us in corral 30, while Karen's 3:00:00 put her in 26...now since our training we came up with new estimated times, we were able to move our corrals up...Me to 26, Karen to 23...I ended up staying in 30 because that is where my crew was running from.

The corral start worked out pretty good. Even though we ended up starting about an hour after the elite runners started, the start was pretty smooth. Starting around 7:00, they released each corral to start...2 minutes later, they released the next, 2 minutes later another...until we were all out on the course. The weather was pretty mild at the beginning, but that would not last...

The first mile was easy...slightly uphill, but fast...the we dipped down towards 2nd ave passed the honky tonks, the GEC, and all of the touristy parts I normally do not care to see...Right about at Mile 2, we saw a familiar sight...Tammy from Fleet Feet standing on the corner with her bullhorn yelling encouragement just like she did before our morning runs...I ran towards her showing her my Fleet Feet shirt I was wearing, she smiled and then asked me "Where is your Momma?"...I pointed behind me to tell her that she was on her way...

The next bit is where it got a little rough...after turning onto 4th, we made another quick turn onto Demonbreun...once we made the turn, we got to see our first major hill of the day. It was a bitch too...Mile 3 happened about half way up the hill....even after making it to the top, we were still doing OK. Lou, Delaina, Tim and myself were all still together...Byron pulled a bit ahead and Mom and Victoria (they were walking most of it) were a bit behind...

Mile 4 took us through Music Row and into the Belmont area...some more rolling hills and then the sun started beating down on us...the run support was plentiful in this area. Lots of folks sitting out on their front stoop...some of them had their sprinklers going so we could run through them. Some were handing out fruit...some were just hanging out drinking beers, wine, and whatever else they could put their hands on...Miles 5 and 6 took us through this area...and that is where things started to bunch up...a lot of people started to walk, back in the neighborhoods the streets were not as wide, so it made it really difficult to get around people during my running intervals...at about Mile 6.5, I started making deals with myself that I would keep with my intervals through mile 8 (at least) then from there, I would give myself an interval or 2 break. The heat was getting to me. I let Lou and Delaina get ahead of me...Tim fell back...none of us were really were prepared for the heat.

A little after mile 7, I saw 2 familar faces...Kevin from work and his wife Kamini were walking down the street...I veered to the right to say hi, they took a picture and I was back on my way. About a 1/2 mile down the road from meeting Kevin, I had to take a break...I walked for a bit, ran the downhills and just did my best to hold it together. Even with hitting all the water stops and eating when I could...it was pretty tough. Miles 8 - 10 were a blur...I saw some kids with some cool Disney related signs...they were holding signs stating that we did not have 'Minnie' miles left...they had mouse ears on, etc...cute...right after mile 10 Tim caught up...that was the best thing that could have happened. We commiserated about the heat, what was hurting...it really made the time pass...I watched my estimated time of 2:55 come and go...

We made it to mile 12 and started the last stretch to the bridge over the Cumberland...we ran down the back side of the bridge when we both decided we were cashed...we walked to mile 13, turned the corner and saw the finish line. We started running...we finished strong...the announcer said that he saw two guys from Fleet Feet about to finish (us)...that was awesome. We crossed the finish line...I grabbed 2 waters (warm)...got my medal...then met Lou and Byron and waited for Mom for a bit. After a few minutes, I was starving and had to eat. I ran off to grab some fruit and whatever else I could find...after grabbing some food I ran over to Family reunion 'D' where we planned on meeting. Mom called and accidentally went the wrong way, so once we directed her over to us, we were all together for the first time since about 6:45 that morning.

Water/Food:

About every 1.5 miles they had water/cytomax stops...I tried my best to drink a cup of C'max and a few cups of water...at mile 3, 6, and 9, I ate a Strawberrry Banana Gu...At the couple of places where folks were handing out fruit...I ate a few pieces of apple.

After the race we were a little upset (mom was very upset) over the lack of water...once you left the initial area...there was no bottled water to be found. Just cytomax...as of that point I was done with cytomax...

Recovery:

After a quick meal at Raffertys on the way home...we hit the hot tub and because Mom was adamant about it, I ice bathed my feet afterwards...that was the greatest idea...aside from the normal soreness I had no real pain on Sunday...I am ready to run now...but will wait until Thursday to start back up...

Summary:

We are officially 1/2 marathoners. I could not be more proud of all of us. All in all, aside from the water situation, they put on a good race. After a few days to think about it, I am definitely doing it again next year.

Pictures:

Yep...on the flickr page...have at it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31053139@N06/sets/72157617359051101/


What's next:

Peachtree Road Race...July 4th...already have the hotel booked, ready to do some heat training for this 10k...

Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon...August 2nd...should be booking some airfare this weekend...taking advantage of some more cheap rates and maybe some delta skymiles...I think this time, I may bring the digital recorder to record my thoughts as we run...I know Gordon does this and the Trilogy dudes recorded themselves during the Georgia Marathon last month...we may do some tests during the summer. Also hear that it is the Downey family reunion that weekend in Chicago...may need to drop in on that crap because it is bound to be a party...

Once again..thanks to everyone who supported us, we appreciate you...

J

Like last time, I am tired...not going to proofread...I trust this is right...

1 comment:

ae said...

Awesome recap! It makes me wish I had been there. That night at the ballgame, we were all talking about training for the 1/2 Marathon together and do it next year - of course, by then, you'll be doing Iron Mans in Tahiti, but still!

Congrats, Joe - glad your hard work paid off!!