get a badge now!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Franklin Classic

It was an early start for me, I woke up around 5:45 this morning to go through my normal morning routine. Had to have breakfast, had to take a quick shower to wake myself up. Had about 2 sips of coffee...then by 6:30 I was on my way in to downtown Franklin for the race. The 5k started at 7:00 AM while the 10k started at 7:30 AM, I had plenty of time. I found a nice spot on top of the parking deck and made my way down to the square to see what it was like. There was a ton of folks, at the time, mostly 5k-ers trying to get their chips on their shoes and get down to the starting line...



I walked around for a bit, took a few pictures...here is the end of the 5k-ers starting.



I also walked down to the finish line and took a few pictures there...



After that, I had to take a picture of the Fleet Feet tent...I seriously love these people...they are totally supportive and really care about what we do. Of course, they were mostly overly concerned where Mom was (LA, visiting Ryan)...



Anyway, I put my camera away and spent about 20 minutes stretching out...ate a banana...then went over to my corral...10 minutes and above. I can handle that. I started out kind of shaky...not sure why, but I gather it was nerves. This was the first time I had raced without Mom or Karen. Once I got in my rhythm, I was good to go. The first 2 miles were fairly flat and the weather was awesome...had to be just below 70...I zoomed through the first few miles at about a 12 minute pace. For some reason, I thought I could keep that up for the whole thing...which was wrong because just after mile 2, the hills started. Nothing terrible, just not flat...the rolling hills went from about mile 2 - 4.5...I adjusted well and ran most of it...

I did not pay too much attention to intervals, I set my watch for 4:2, but probably only run/walked 3 full intervals...instead of the run/walk for 4:2, I was more around a 5:1 or 5.5:.5...by the time I hit mile 5, I realized I had not broken an hour yet. It was around 58 minutes...I was on a walk break at the time, well not anymore. At that point, I had 24 minutes to run 1 mile to get my PR. This was exactly what I wanted...and I still had enough energy in the tank to really get rolling in the final sprint. I made it down to Main Street and from about 5.7, I could see the finish line. For the last half mile, I put everything I had out there...running at an 8 minute mile pace, dipping into 7 minute range (which I have never done, I do not think)...I finished strong at 1:10:19...my PR by 12 minuted. Another good race. Of course, I still think it is the headband...



I got it at the Peachtree, where this pic was taken...I wore it for 2 races after that one and PR'ed at both...We will see what happens at the Race for the Cure next month...

No comments: