get a badge now!

Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Love Running

I am not afraid to commit it to the internet either. Most of the hobbies that I have are fairly sedentary, video games, etc...but I have really taken to running. It honestly makes me feel better than anything else...not just the thought of the healthy thing that I am doing for myself...but the exhilaration I feel when I am done with a training run is not like anything I have felt before. After my lunchtime runs, I still can't believe that I can make my body do what it is doing. I can't believe that I can run the distances I have run multiple times a week. I guess I am still in the "Did I do that?" phase.

I have had a cruddy week, mostly self-inflicted...as usual...I am trying to schedule myself 2 run days during the week and it has been difficult to get both of them in over the past few weeks. Whether I forget some of my gear (like yesterday) or it storms out, something seems to come up. Today, the rain subsided enough for me to decide that I was going to head out to do between 3 and 4...I went outside, checked out the clouds, all was well. I went back in to change, got my stuff together and went back out. OF COURSE, it had started raining. Luckily, it was not thundering and there was no lightning, so I decided to head on. I can brave a little rain...it could rain on race day you know. Anyhow, I get out and run a little over 3, it rained on me some, but most of the Concord Y trail is covered by trees, so I was fine. While I was out, I listened to Gordon's latest RuntoDisney podcast. Another great one, he interviewed Mika Scopa and Michelle Scribner-Maclean from Team AllEars and he also had a segment where he gave out tips on running the Walt Disney World Marathon. Needless to say, it made for a great run. After I was done and back to the office, I ate my salami wrap and rice chips and it was like a switch was thrown and I was suddenly in a great mood. The rest of the day was great.

Tomorrow, if the weather holds, I just may do it again. Next week, I am upping my during the week mileage to 4 miles...we have 3 weeks until the Peachtree and 7 weeks until the Chicago 1/2...I need to step it up, but in the meantime, I feel good and I know I can finish any race I start.

On top of my run high, I came home to this. Now, I have learned that I really can not keep up with my Brother as far as thoughtfulness of gifts go, but this time he topped himself. With my birthday coming up this weekend, this showed up at my door. As many of you know, I am a huge Star Wars fan and over the years, Ryan has found some great stuff. My Che Trooper still sits in my office, well, he will have an office mate soon...




Thanks to Ryan for another great gift. I am lucky to have you as a Brother as much as I tormented you in the past...I think Ryan and my sister-in-law Amanda may participate in the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon next year. I need to get my Coast-to-Coast medal...

Thanks for listening...

Joe

No comments: